WCS golf tourney raises $11K for family violence prevention progam

Last updated on Aug 24, 23

Posted on Aug 24, 23

3 min read

Woolwich Community Services’ 29th annual Jeanne Renault Golf Classic tournament went off without a hitch again this year at the Ariss Valley Golf and Country Club.

Held August 17, the event saw 98 participants, who formed 24 teams and raised $11,000.

“We’re just so thankful for the support that we’ve received from our community in order for the family violence prevention program to continue. We have amazing businesses and amazing individuals out there who would not only have supported us through hole sponsorships, but also coming out for the day and golfing and prize donors. We’ve just had an outpouring of support, which we are just really grateful for,” said Nancy Lucier, community engagement coordinator at WCS.

The hole-in-one challenge included a $2,500 prize, sponsored by Programmed Insurance Brokers.

“We’re really thankful that they sponsored this exciting hole and contest for the tournament because it is exciting for our players to have a neat challenge like that. And the prize was $2,500. Unfortunately, nobody did get a hole in one at this tournament, but it was still fun. It just adds a little fun to the game,” said Lucier.

Other events at the tournament included putting contests, ‘go for the green’ contest, longest drives for men and women, and closest-to-the-pin for men and women.

“It is an important fundraiser for the family violence prevention program. But what we really enjoy also is that we are gathering a lot of our community members together and it is an enjoyable day,” said Lucier.

The tournament is a major boost to the WCS program, says Virginia Logan, director of the family violence prevention program, noting government funding covers about 60 percent of the costs, with the other 40 percent coming via fundraising.

The funds raised during the tournament will be used to cover the programs that staff don’t receive funding for, such as violence prevention education in schools, supporting a female family violence victim older than 12, but younger than 16, or supporting men.

Other supports offered by the program include ongoing emotional support, legal help, danger assessment and safety planning, women’s support groups, as well as trauma therapy support and coverage.


; ; ;

Share on

Post In: